Originally from the Italian coastal town of Sestri Levante, the Olivieri family came to California in the 1950’s
and opened their first “stand” next to the Santa Cruz Wharf. Aldo fished while his wife Inez ran their business selling pizza,
candied apples and other fresh fare. Their young sons Mauro and Walter helped out, with Mauro just old enough to park cars on the Beach Street Hill.
The operation grew, a pancake house on Portola Avenue followed.
Aldo still fished, but found time to make fresh pasta each weekend — with recipes used by the family to this day.